Physical Therapy intervention emphasizing facial neuromuscular re-education. Techniques may include, but are not limited to, thorough evaluation of facial impairments and functional limitations, guided training sessions of correct movement patterns, and detailed instructions in precise facial movement for home exercise programs with visual feedback. Digital photography is performed in an effort to objectify facial function between visits. Follow up sessions are required for optimal progress and designed to upgrade the home program. Retraining relies on active patient participation in the program on a daily basis.
What is involved in Facial Retraining?
- Obtaining facial symmetry at rest
- Reducing facial muscle spasms and inflexibility
- Isolating facial movements while inhibiting synkinesis and abnormal movement patterns
- Facilitating symmetric spontaneous facial expression
- Visual feedback with a mirror
- Ongoing patient education including eye and oral care.